Sunday, July 1, 2012

Peach & Huckleberry Crisp

Peach & Huckleberry Crisp

I'm back with one of our favorite summer recipes. The original recipe was from my sister a zillion 35 years ago when I was first learning to cook. I was about to be married and my cooking skills amounted to being able to make sloppy joes and hot dogs. She taught me to make enchiladas, tuna casserole, and this dessert. But the dessert was for an apple crisp, and while I like apples well enough, over the years I found myself making it with peaches more often. Then I had some fresh blueberries and decided to make it with both peaches and blueberries. Yum! Now that we live in Montana, I decided to try huckleberries instead of blueberries. Huckleberries are a bit of an obsession for Ken, so finding recipes to use them has become a quest. 

Besides making it with huckleberries, I decided to make the recipe healthier and see if anyone noticed. Success! So that is the recipe I'll share here. If you want the original not-so-healthy version, just leave a comment and your email and I'll be happy to send it to you. 

5-6 whole peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup huckleberries
3/4 cup Splenda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1/3 cup Land of Lake butter spread with canola oil

Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan (or use cooking spray!) and preheat oven to 350. 

Combine peaches, cinnamon, and Splenda in a bowl. Gently add the huckleberries to the mixture. Spread in  the baking dish. 

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and Splenda brown sugar blend. Add the oatmeal and mix. Sprinkle the dry mixture over the fruit. Melt the butter spread and dribble over the top. 

Bake for 40-50 minutes. 

The topping will be crisper if you serve it soon after removing it from the oven. Leftovers will have a softer topping as the fruit juice is absorbed into the cooled dessert. 

I like to serve it with whipped cream, but light whipped topping is good, too. Or ice cream. :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment