Monday, June 18, 2012

Ken's Favorite Cake

Oatmeal Cake

Cake
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour

Grease and flour 13" x 9" baking pan. Preheat oven to 350.

Pour the boiling water over the oatmeal in a mixing bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, mix in the other ingredients. Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes - or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Topping
1 cup butter
1/2 cup cream
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups coconut

Melt butter, then add other ingredinets and stir. Spread topping on the cake (works best if you do it soon after removing the cake from the oven). Put under the broiler until the coconut is lightly toasted and brown. 

~ ~ ~

Ken and my work husband Ron are always tag-teaming me, making me bake cakes. Okay, "making" is perhaps not the correct word. It's more like they both nag me constantly and I finally give in to save my sanity. Ken loves this cake and would probably have me make it once a week if I would. But it's an alarmingly unhealthy pan of wonderfulness, full of sugar and butter and eggs. Yummy, but only for occasional consumption.

I do have plans to experiment with the Oatmeal Cake to make it less unhealthy. I'm not sure how Splenda's Brown Sugar blend will work in the broiled topping, though. That's my favorite part, so I hate to mess it up. Anyone every try that? Anyway, I'll post about my experiments in the future -- success or miserable failure.

Oh -- Ken must have felt obligated to help out my work husband in the cake department after achieving success with the oatmeal cake. So he bugged me until I made a lemon cake to bring into work. It's nothing special -- just a box mix with some lemon pudding and cool whip. It was a bit of an experiment itself (with the pudding), so we'll see how it works out. Definitely an eat-with-a-fork (or spoon) cake -- no eating with your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment