Thursday, June 14, 2012

Laundry Room, part 1 (cont)

The Beast is out of the laundry room and now living in the cat room. I'll get some pictures of it in its new home soon, but I was busy last night cleaning and painting in preparation for the cabinet installation.

Moving The Beast was every bit as painful as expected. First we put it on its back on the floor. We took off the heavy doors so they wouldn't swing open while we were moving it. Then we turned it on its side and slid it out of the laundry room into the dining room.

After maneuvering it around to head for the cat room and discovering the angles would be very tight, we ended up taking off the door to the cat room and the closet doors in the cat room. This gave us enough room to push The Beast all the way into the room and then turn it. Once it was near its new location we tipped it on back and then onto its bottom. We pushed it into place and replaced the doors. Then I put on two new door catches because the magnetic catches had never been enough to hold those heavy doors closed. I replaced the door pulls because we'd broken one in the moving -- and they were ugly. The Beast was moved!

Onto cleaning, preparing and painting. It really didn't take long as I didn't do the entire laundry room. I will later -- but for now the goal was to get the area where The Beast lived ready for the new cabinets and shelves. I choose Behr "Sapphireberry" in a satin finish for the walls. Because we live in a fairly dry climate and our laundry room is large with a window for ventilation, I decided satin was adequate rather than going to semi-gloss. If your room has more moisture or humidity, semi-gloss would be a better choice.

I did have to question the color name "Sapphireberry". Who came up with that?! I don't know about you, but when I hear sapphire, I think about a medium deep clear blue -- not as dark as royal blue, but close. And berry makes me think of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries. Again, not a light color and definitely a color more on the purple side of the blue section. But Sapphireberry is actually a muted, light blue with some green in it.




Old dirty white next to newly painted Sapphireberry  blue.
 

Boring picture of of blue walls -- but soon there will be cabinets and shelves here.

 Tonight the plans include disabling and covering the outlet that will be covered by the cabinets. I considered asking Ken to move it up the wall so it will still be usable, but I don't know if the wire would reach and Ken isn't a big fan of doing electrical work. Plenty of other outlets in the room, so I guess I can live without this one. Oh -- those other two holes are also outlets that the previous owner had disabled when he put The Beast in there.

We'll also put up the standards for the shelves since it will be much easier to do that before the cabinets are in place. No leaning/climbing over them to reach the wall. The cabinet boxes are in the back of my car (a Toyota Highlander) so we'll bring them in and maybe assemble them. Maybe. Depends on how ambitious we're feeling. Could be I'll have a date with a pina colada instead!

More to come....





No comments:

Post a Comment